Sunday, October 12, 2008

Something for the Spring

Today after church, our friend Angel asked us to come outside. Paul, Abigail, and I walked outside to find many of our friends from our Sunday School class standing by our porch. They had gotten us a baby flowering Dogwood tree to plant in our yard. Tony had already dug the hole (the hardest part), and they asked if we would like to help plant it.

We stood in a circle, held hands, and prayed. Our family was prayed for, and we asked that this tree be a sweet memorial to us. Through tears (of course), I told them I had no clue how to plant a tree, but I'd try. Mainly "planting the tree" was just Paul and myself shoveling the dirt back in the hole.

I love that our class thought to do this for us. That our sweet friends did not overlook this moment to reach out to us in a tangible way. They gave us a gift that I only hope will be something to hope toward, something beautiful in the spring. My hope is that it will be flowering beautifully around the baby's due date, May 4th.

I wrote in an email to my friend Charlotte tonight that God has enabled me to see so much tender beauty in some of the darkest moments of these last few days. It is only Him that would give me those eyes...eyes that can see moments to cherish, to feel how strong all of these arms are that are wrapped around us right now. I am able to see beauty in these moments because that is what God is showing me.

I look forward, through the upcoming winter (and oh, how long it can be!), to the Spring, so that I will see the flowers on that tree and remember. Remember for these ten weeks that I was a part of something beautiful.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog Amy and you write beautifully! I am so happy you were with friends, the pumpkin carving and the church giving you a tree! What a wonderful testimony of your influence on others as they surround you with their love and support. Your stories are such a blessing and I can't get over how sweet the "Abigail Wedding" was! Please tell your mom that the pictures from your brother's wedding were lovely!

MamaS said...

I am so at peace, Amy, when I see the people God has sent to envelope you with His love. From Paul to "almost big" Abigail, to all of your church and crusade friends , people who's prayers we are not even aware of....God IS good...All the time!
We can always look back at a time when we were experiencing hard times and realize how those times gave us compassion for another in the future.
The dogwood was a wonderful idea and will always be a gentle reminder of this baby.
The beautiful thing about our memories....they get sweeter as time passes....we remember the beautiful part of even sad times ...and THAT is definitely a Gift only He can give. Love you more than you can imagine.....Mama

Stacey said...

Amy,
Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I am so sorry for both of your losses and I will be praying for you in the weeks and months to come.

When I read this post I wanted to tell you that my husband and I planted a tree in our backyard after our first miscarriage 6 years ago. I think it was such a thoughtful gift from your friends.

I look forward to keeping up with your blog!