Wednesday, November 18, 2009

It's Good to Have Goals

I told my husband today that I had a new goal. He said, "Let me guess....does it last 30 days?"

Well, yes. Actually, it does, Mr. Smartie-Pants. We all know that any goal worth learning anything from has to last 30 days. Sheesh.

Last night, I was up very late (too late), googling things on the computer. And I googled "30 days of meals," or something like that. And I am now totally excited and motivated to plan out a month worth of meals for my family. We will still do our weekly grocery shopping, so I will only buy what I need for that week's worth of meals.

I have just fallen too many times into the trap of, "I don't have meat thawed out for dinner. Let's go out." Paul and I know that if there is one main area that we could tighten the bootstraps of our budget on, it is in the area of eating out. Plus, if the meals are planned, then I won't be so likely to grocery shop like I am hopped up on cough syrup. A plan, y'all, I just need a plan.

This will be a healthier change for my family (compared to too many meals out), and give me that sense of being ready for what comes at the end of the day. You know, it's not like I can pretend to be surprised by dinner for the rest of my life.

So, it will take work. It will take preparation. It will take prayer. But I like the idea of planning it out. Except for Thanksgiving....my dad's frying a turkey that day, and I would hate to take that joy away from him.

Any suggestions of your family's favorite meals that I could add to my list?

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Dude, I just read a blog post about this on a random blog last night. (Great minds...) Here it is:

http://littlenannygoat.blogspot.com/2009/05/what-heck-it-30-meal-plan.html

Good luck! I'm planning on trying it, too!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this idea! I've tried it a couple of times and made it exactly one week! Maybe we can all try together! ~Alison

Christianne said...

Just made this for the first time a few days ago...very easy and yummy!

Crunchy Corn Chip Chicken

6 chicken breasts
2 cups cheddar cheese (divided)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 pkg. taco seasoning
2 cups Chili Cheese Fritos

Put chicken breasts in ungreased dish. Mix together one cup of cheese, soup, and seasoning. Spread on top of chicken. Bake at 450 for 45 minutes. Top with Fritos and remaining cup of cheese. Put back in oven for five minutes. Serve with Spanish rice, sour cream, lettuce and tomato.

Melody said...

I'm not sure how healthy it is but we just found out about this recipe and the whole fam likes it:
1 lb. ground beef, browned
1 large jar spaghetti sauce
1 package mozerella cheese
2 cans pillsbury croissant rolls

Lay one can of croissants on bottom of greased 9x13 dish. Pour spaghetti/meat sauce mix on top. Sprinkle moz. cheese on that. Then top with the other can of croissants...you just lay them on top flat. And then bake for 25 min. on 350

Good luck with your meal planning. We are needing to do this too but we are in the middle of a move and cooking is the last thing on my mind right now. I look forward to getting settled and striving for more meals in.