Sunday, September 8, 2013

40 Weeks, 3 Days

Well. This is a new experience for me. This is officially the longest I have ever been pregnant. I was induced with both girls right around 39 weeks (plus a day or two). I've never made it to my due date. Our doula, Samantha, gave the GENIUS advice that if I made it to 40 weeks, I needed to celebrate somehow. And that every day that I go past 40 weeks should also include a small treat of some kind. This gives me something to look forward to instead of just focusing on how bummed I am that baby girl isn't here yet.

So, when I reached my due date last Thursday, I got my much-needed pedicure and a Mocha cookies and cream milkshake from Chick-Fil-A (ohmygoodnesstheyaresogoodIhighlyrecommendone). Unfortunately, I also had a sick girl at home from school for a couple of days, so my next treat on Friday was spending time with her...but SO good and SO needed. Abigail and I are very similar personalities in a lot of ways, and we can easily start acting like a married couple who hasn't had a date night in a long time and start constantly butting heads. The best cure for us, always has been, is to have some one-on-one time together. So Paul and Sadie went to the high school football game Friday night, and Abigail and I stayed home and made cookies, watched a movie, and snuggled (Physical Touch, or snuggling, in Abigail terms, is HIGH on her Love Languages). Yesterday, my treat was getting out for a bit to go to prenatal yoga (led by my amazing doula) and enjoying an iced mocha afterward.

Needless to say, I could really get used to this "little treat for Amy every day" thing.

Honestly, I am content with this experience. I am (mostly) content to not be in labor yet. Of course it is uncomfortable, and of course I am sleeping fitfully each night and waking too many times to go to the bathroom. I mean, it's still 40 weeks +++, so I'm not jiving myself. But overall, I feel fine. I want her to come when she is ready. I want to be patient. I want this experience to be new.

A couple of days ago, this song popped into my head as I was going about the house. And this sums it up....He will make this entire experience beautiful...in HIS time.

In His time, In His Time
He makes all things beautiful in His time.
Lord please show me every day
As your teaching me Your way
That You do just what You say 
In Your time.

In Your time, In Your Time
You make all things beautiful in Your time.
Lord my life to You I bring 
May each song I have to sing
Be to you a lovely thing 
In Your time

No comments: